Monday 30 May 2011

Guitar Chase

In 2005 I'd left the rehearsal rooms in Camden where The Projects met up once a week, gone on to a bar in Shoreditch, caught a bus back to Liverpool Street when I was done and then went in to the Tesco Metro for groceries. But my heart sank when I realised that I'd left my guitar on the bus. I ran outside and the double-decker was just disappearing from view down Bishopsgate.

It took some time but, eventually, I hailed a taxi. It didn't bother the driver that I might not be able to pay for the ride, having only ten pounds in cash, he was very excited by the challenge. He put his foot to the floor, he consulted with bus drivers and taxi drivers that we encountered en route through his open window as to the probable destination and current location of the bus, he was jumping red lights, he was having a really good time.

Eventually, on The Strand, we caught up with the Double Decker. He blocked its route, jumped on the bus and appeared triumphant with the guitar case held above his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment