Saturday 17 September 2011

Speed Addicts

I attended the regional college to study for my A levels when I was seventeen. I was only really good friends with Tom. He got along well with a group of speed addicts who lived in the nearby town of St Ives. One of them, I forget his name, seemed like a good and thoughtful person were it not for this terrible mean streak that he had in him. He had a vendetta against a senior policeman and was forever threatening that he would kill him. I seem to remember that he had some hold over him, having some knowledge or proof of corruption. I seem to remember hearing about some episode where he was trying to run this detective off the road, chasing his car with one stolen.

They would all spend their time at Danny's flat, there was a group of a half dozen speed addicts sleeping there for a few hours each afternoon. He was very skinny and was constantly taking vast quantities of different drugs. The flat was absolutely bare, save for a yellow NHS sharps bin and graffiti all over the walls, executed with a permanent marker, depicting Disney characters shooting up drugs.

It was really ugly and pathetic and I couldn't see why Tom gave these people a thought. I suppose he was impressed somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment