Tuesday 27 September 2011

Huntingdon Library

The library in Huntingdon was a beautiful disc shaped building which now, or so I'm told, has been demolished for some reason.

I remember standing in there, with a book in hand, fretting as an eighteen year old that I hadn't yet written a novel, this fact made me anxious. I was a great reader in those days and would get through two or three books a week.

I also remember visiting one day to find out why my breath had been smelling, on the odd occasion lately, of pear drops or nail varnish remover. The librarian pointed us to a shelf of medical reference books, located on the first floor, when I outlined my problem to her. In the end it would be the Encyclopedia Brittanica which revealed the cause of my condition and I discovered that my body was experiencing a bout of ketoacidosis following binge drinking (we had been drinking an astonishingly large volume of whisky, vodka and beer.) I was a little concerned so I put it to the back of my mind and life continued as normal. since I was young and adaptable the episode was soon nothing more than an amusing anecdote.

No comments:

Post a Comment