Sunday 2 October 2011

Dennis Nordern

Once I was walking with Jane through Soho, down Berwick street. Just where the market stalls begin we bumped into Dennis Nordern, host of television's 'It'll Be Alright On The Night.'

I remember that it was Victory in Europe day and so, for some reason or another, I was carrying an old World War Two British Tommy helmet. I got so sick of the sight of the thing I was to give it away in 2005 via an ad on Freecycle. A very grateful Italian student inherited it.

At first Dennis seemed quite open to the idea of finding a photobooth and having passport photos taken with us but, to be honest, I'm not sure that he was that aware what was going on around him. He soon became agitated and insisted on parting company. I had promised him that he could wear the helmet in the photos which had appealed to him at first but now he became disinterested. I dragged him by the arm but the commotion that he made was attracting the attention of passers by so, reluctantly, I released him.


No comments:

Post a Comment