Sunday 16 October 2011

Consuelo And I Swapping

As Consuelo arrived in London to be with me my MS got so bad that I found it difficult to leave the house. The stairs became unmanageable at our Liverpool Street flat. At the very beginning we did see the Mount Cherries play at the Bethnal Green Working Men's club (The Projects, incidentally, were the first band ever to play there when they decided to cash in on having a stage in such a good location,) The Monks at the Dirty Water Club and something or other at The Spitz, Monade, I think. The Mount Cherries were terrific, what a shame they split up! Their singer Dora had a great voice and they all always had lots of fun on stage, there were many of them, they were a gang.

And so at this time, because we liked the same kinds of bands and the same sorts of locations, Consuelo began to go to all of the same places that I used to go to. It felt strange to greet her when she came home from a night out and she'd say that she ended up at such and such a place, ask if I'd heard of it and I'd recall fun times and say 'oh yes, I used to go there lots.' Then we moved to Dalston, the plan was that we would be going out together all the time, but my doctor prescribed me a pill which made me feel so dark and ill that I didn't want to be around the people that I used to spend time with, despite the elevator and no staircase to contend with. Consuelo would propose places to go and things to do but  I would always turn them down. I've mentioned this elsewhere here, I think the entry was called 'reclusiveness.'

And then, just at the same time as Consuelo decides that she has had enough, I realise that the medication was the cause of my troubles. I have also mentioned this before and how I felt better and started to go out again. And now it's me going to these places and spending time with these people. I only mention it once more because it strikes me as such an odd, unfortunate progression of events, how we swapped like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment