Tuesday 28 June 2011

Speed Chess

I used to love playing speed chess online. It used to be chess.net that was all the rage but now, I think it's chess.com? Or the other way around? A chess server with thousands of chess players from the completely inexperienced to Grand Masters.

I loved two minute and three minute lightning matches. I bought a load of books from the chess shop on Euston road and studied obscure openings that wouldn't fool anyone in an hour long match but really threw people who were playing quickly. I achieved a good international rating.

I was working at this new media company at the time, Howard worked there too, it was lots of fun working there. I'd play many games of chess throughout the day. Suddenly I became increasingly nervous and the excitement, and the adrenaline that I'd get from playing a game were replaced by fear. The countdown to the match became more and more difficult with each game, I became too scared to play chess!

It was good while it lasted though, when you are obsessed with defending and improving your international rating winning a game of speed chess is very gratifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment