Sunday 28 August 2011

Ellipses

I have been a fan of ellipses for many years, sometimes indicating aposiopesis (a trailing off to silence) but usually denoting a pause for thought. In the past I would use three dots... But then I fell for Consuelo and, before she came to London, we exchanged endless romantic text messages and emails. She too was a big fan of ellipses, but she only ever used two dots. At first the two dots made me feel uncomfortable and I instinctively disliked them... But, over time, I came to see how much more beautiful two dots are and I too found myself adopting the two point ellipses.. I think it expresses the meaning that I am trying to convey so much better.

Today is Consuelo's birthday. I still can't get over her leaving when we were so very close. Happy birthday cariƱo! Felicidades! xxx You know, I think about her all the time..

No comments:

Post a Comment