Saturday 20 August 2011

New Year's Eve II

When I wrote the post 'New Year's Eve I' I didn't mention New Year's Eve in Devon, sometime around 2003/4. It was the best New Year's that I have ever experienced.

Sophie had the great idea of renting a cottage in Devon. Back then Sophie was my close friend Mat's girlfriend. She was in a band called 'Wet Dog' and Rebecca from the band also came along with her then boyfriend Lee (who also played in Mat's Ghosts) and John from Mat's band had a room along with his girlfriend. Lisa and I shared the fourth room.

We were there for a week and we had lots of fun playing music and going on walks and getting drunk but mostly getting drunk.

The local paper delivered through the door warned on its front page of increased paranormal activity in the county. Some of us thought that this accounted for unexplained sounds in the night and for three quarters of all the eggs cracked to make omelette having double yolks.

We spent the early evening of New Year's Eve in the lovely town of Clovelly, where motorised traffic is forbidden and therefore there are no street markings or signs. We took a long walk down a steep hill from a car park to an unremarkable pub by the sea front John's girlfriend started screaming on the return journey because all eight of us were in her car and it brought on a panic attack. As the new year began we were dancing back in the cottage.

One night I sat up late watching a crap 'On The Buses' film. Lisa came down from the bedroom and asked me again to come to bed. She was concerned about how much I was drinking and became quite upset. Mathew appeared from the kitchen and Lisa punched him on the way out of the room. I'm sure it was my fault for not simply following her request and going to bed. I only mention it because it sticks in my memory but, if the truth is told, Lisa and I got along tremendously well the whole time. She invented a great Cookie-Monster-eating impersonation and I have the video to prove it.

Lisa and I were travelling home by train and they all came to see us off at the station, Mathew having bought some comedy teeth for all of them especially.


----Love In The Graveyard----



No comments:

Post a Comment