Friday 19 August 2011

St Albans

I have the vaguest recollection of sitting in the back seat of the family car, I think we were visiting the market town of St Albans and we were travelling around a roundabout when 'Video Killed the Radio Star' came on the radio. I asked my dad to explain what it meant and he did his best. I remember really loving the sound of the singer's voice.

Later that day my parents bought me a red helicopter pilot's jumpsuit for an Action Man doll which pleased me because I had an ambition to grow up to be a helicopter mountain rescue pilot. Later on that day I found a scuffed yellow 'Status Quo' pin badge on the pavement and I asked my dad what it meant.

Then we stopped and watched Morris dancers. I asked my dad just what they were doing carrying on like that but I wasn't satisfied with his explanations.

I clearly remember everyone dressing in dark colours and looking very dowdy in the early eighties, just before we all went wild with primary colours. I remember all the cars looking very old fashioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment