Thursday 11 August 2011

My/Our New Record

I am so excited about the new record that I have just written, recorded. I am so excited and so eager to see it finished and released that I shall write about it.

It is the third (or fourth if you count an extended, extended player) LP attributed to the band but the second LP that I have made at home. For the last one I used mediocre equipment and I was learning as I went. Alex, who played the bass guitar, said of it that it sounded like a 'collection of B sides.' At the time that hurt my feelings, but it's the truth. There's only a couple of songs that could possibly be singles on it. It's a great record and the songs are actually better than B sides, but it is a little bit slow. I should have sped the songs up a bit. I sped up the drums before recording everything else for 'Unhappy House' and I was really tempted to speed all the songs afterwards, but I didn't. And then the year before last Pete from Spacemen 3 was around here for a few days using my studio to master his record (his house had been flooded and Randall from Mind Expansion Records put him in touch with me.) He said that he always speeds songs up a tiny bit. it's true, even speeding up by as little as a half percent makes a song sound more engaging and a bit tighter too. We released a single from the Words of Love record, 'A Million Crimson Roses' (an Alla Pugacheva cover) and I sped the B side 'Flamenco' (a Los Brincos cover) up by a whole percent. If you plan on doing this then use a program that uses the DIRAC algorithm. It's exceptionally good.

So this time I set about writing a record that was faster and catchier and I think it worked. It's fast enough not to need any speeding up. Half the songs are contenders for a single and I think that 'Elektrichka's Favourite Party Record' is destined to be a hit!

And there are great musicians performing on it, I'm very lucky. It's all finished except for vocals on a couple of songs but now the singer, Mira, is tied up directing a short film so it will be a couple of weeks yet.

Owow, it's such a shame that I can't play it to you! I'm sure you'd love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment