Monday 1 August 2011

Classmates At Sixth Form College

In the six form college I studied Psychology, English Literature and History.

Of my classmates I only remember three. Tom in my literature class, who loved Faith No More and mocked my adoration for The Pastels. We had common ground with Spacemen 3. He took a train to London with me one evening with me to see The Pastels play at the Islington Powerhouse once. Before the show we met a French girl who had been living in Glasgow and had moved there with the intention of stalking Stephen Pastel. Tom knew some bad lads, Danny's gang who were speed addicts and sometimes he acted very world weary and superior as though he was so experienced in the criminal world (and as though this was a good thing.)

There was a mature student studying History with me who was paralysed from the neck down following a holiday diving accident. An assistant would take notes for him. He seemed like he didn't really want to be there and I wondered if he always seemed so or only in History lessons.

The oddest of the three was this boy, average height and build, probably quite good looking with dark hair and always in a good mood. I remember him because at every history class, he would come in to the room and, putting on a bad American accent half sing 'Sit On My Face Bay-beeeeee' to himself a few times. It was odd, he had no friends in the class, he was just absent mindedly singing the same phrase to himself, before every lesson, as he arranged his pens and opened his books.

No comments:

Post a Comment